How Do You Keep Up With New Technology

I found interesting opinion in my favourite blog www.37signals.com about how can we learn about something new without spending all of our time in front of computer.

Here is the story :

Someone ask to 37signals

As a developer, I often feel overwhelmed by the amount of new technologies and languages to learn. I work long hours as it is, and the last thing I feel like doing when I get home is spending more time trying new stuff out at the computer. Do I really have to be the kind of person that is excited about spending 24/7 at the computer to be a programmer? I love my job, and I love what I do, but I want a life outside of it too.


And 37signals answer
The best way to learn new technologies is on the job. I learned Ruby because I wanted to escape the pain that PHP and Java was giving me and because I had a fresh project to try it on (Basecamp). I built Rails because I needed it for Basecamp. I got into Ajax because we wanted to give Ta-da a compelling UI experience. I got into REST because we didn’t want the API for Highrise to be an afterthought. I picked up on OpenID because the thought of building single-signon for all 37signals’ products sounded like a drag to build from scratch.


As a developer  i had same problem too. But i have the same opinion with this. I think the best way we learn is in our job. 
Believe or not we spent most our time in our office doing our job.